Tuesday 5 March 2013

Sprout Surprise!

I usually make a chia pudding weekly, soaking chia seeds overnight in a bowl of water then putting them into my food processor with lots of yummy things.  The chia seeds, when soaked, end up all thick and gelatinous like.
I had a little surprise this time, though, and found some of them had grown little tails - sprouted in other words!  I had always heard how sprouting Chia was hard, and well, I never bothered with them to be honest, as soaking for 12 - 24 hrs was enough for me.
But, the little tadpole-like sprouted seeds came about without me doing anything different - well, except the only thing I can think of is I placed a tea-towel over the bowl this time.
I might even try them in the jar with some Alfalfa or Clover (see my Products page)..... will keep you posted.
 Chia contains 8 essential amino acids and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B15, B17, C, D, E & K and other goodies for your body.  (Info taken from Isabell Shipard's book "How Can I Grow & Use Sprouts?").
So, if you'd like to experiment with chia or just make a yummy pudding, I've included a Chia Pudding recipe in the Recipes page..... let me know how you go!



No comments:

Post a Comment