Tuesday 8 January 2013

Sprouting Chives


I get asked every now & then about onion and chive sprouts in my mixes.  I don't sell them, because, from what I've been able to find so far, chive seeds are around $500 a kg !!  Maybe there are some way more reasonable out there......?
But, instead, what I've done is seed-saved the garlic chives seeds from my own garden.  To be honest, I actually harvested these ones a least 12 months ago, and they've been sitting in my kitchen waiting for me to attempt 'winnowing' them.
Well, finally last week (before the bubba was born) I decided to give it a go.  When you collect seed for sprouting, getting them clean from all debris is really important so they don't spoil when in your jar, bag or tiered sprouter.
I put the little black seeds in the sieve and went out side, gently blowing underneath it.  I lost a few seeds, but much of the dried debris flew out.  I'd love to learn how to do it properly, with the right equipment.... a goal for 2013.
When I soaked them  in my sprout jar I scooped out any remaining bits that floated to the surface.  Then added Alfalfa & radish seeds and sprouted as per usual.

The results :  little chive sprouts amongst my alfalfa & radish - YUM !
They didn't start sprouting as early as the alfalfa & radish, and at first I thought they weren't going to sprout at all, but about day 4, I think, they started and just kept growing.  Success !
Well, I'm ready to harvest yet more little black seeds soon, as my garlic chives all start to flower & go to seed.  Maybe you'd like to give it a try?





1 comment:

  1. Hi Tara, I'm so excited and glad I found your site thorugh Mary's new Blog.

    Well done, I love it! You have created a beautiful show case of nutritrious, helpful and loving information. Your such a clever girl. I have started some time ago sprouting (in my humble home jars). Recently upgraded to the shop version, but now will move to the dome. I also have some lovely memories of your mum, eating her 'fresh sprouts' straight from the jar.

    Oh..and a big hug & congratulations on your beautiful new baby!

    With love
    Linda

    ReplyDelete